Where: Vienna (Austria)
Extent of Work: Full Time
Click here to apply in English
Context of Assignment:
The SEforALL Communications Team faces the dual challenge of, on the one hand, continuing to promote and position the initiative, while on the other hand, evolving its brand, visual and media strategy. A new strategic framework has been discussed by the SEforALL Advisory Board, and subsequently several outreach, launch, and positioning activities will take place to both frame the discussions that SEforALL intends to drive, and to support change agents amongst SEforALL’s partners and counterparts in their implementation efforts. Under the overall guidance of the SEforALL Communications Director, the Content Specialist role will be to take the lead in shaping and handling SEforALL’s content and written products on an ongoing basis.
Title of Supervisor:
Director of Communications
Content and methodology of supervision:
The staff member will be supervised through individual meetings with the supervisor, weekly team meetings, and through periodic performance appraisals.
Duties and Accountabilities
Working directly with the Communications Director and as part of the wider SEforALL communications team that supports the Director, the Content Specialist serves as the lead communications advisor and writer supporting the wider organization to ensure that our insights are effectively communicated to target audiences. The post holder will also be a writing and content development professional for a range of sophisticated content in support of SEforALL’s outreach and communications efforts.
The Content Specialist will function as author and editor for content for high-level internal and external engagements and media outlets; prepare compelling and accurate distillations of the SEforALL leadership’s thoughts for publication; design ancillary presentation and other messaging materials using a variety of graphic and content tools and provide writing and editing of other major communications initiatives. The post holder will also be responsible for developing the SEforALL storytelling capacity to ensure key audiences are further inspired to act.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
For content production: Ensure that SEforALL is able to produce high quality products that communicate the thought leadership provided by the organization and the movement to drive change. Support the wider SEforALL team to ensure that their activities engage audiences and are efficiently managed to present a positive view of the organization and the movement. This will include working with contractors, including designers, and produce high quality materials and web copy. Guide the deployment of the content and other collaterals to ensure audiences are informed and engaged. Develop short films and animations to articulate stories of success.
For storytelling initiative: Help support the SEforALL storytelling initiative by seeking out and identifying appropriate stories, interviewing stakeholders, researching background information, identifying, proposing compelling multimedia formats and writing stories in consistent and recognizable formats for publication on the website, through social media and other digital/traditional media and via SEforALL’s monthly newsletter. Help identify strategic media partners who can help give these stories far bigger reach and impact. Responsible for the SEforALL newsletter and news content on the web.
For speaking and presentation interventions: Draft, revise, and review polished talking points, speeches, and other messages for high-level internal and external speaking engagements for the SEforALL leadership, adapting and conveying sensitive and/or sophisticated energy and policy concepts for diverse audiences. Assist in strategizing/drafting media pitches and in preparing for interviews with national and international media. Conduct research and compile information as needed to prepare talking points and other communications.
For other formats: Tailor messaging and corresponding media for SEforALL in a variety of formats. (PowerPoint, print, and online outlets including OpEds, blogs and podcasting). Ensure appropriateness of style, format, and tone.
Broader writing and editing tasks: Write and edit other communications for, public relations, direct marketing and other initiatives for specific markets as needed, including but not limited to the annual report, donor reports, etc.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Business studies, International relations, Public Policy or relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of progressively more demanding experience, with a preference for experience in speechwriting, marketing, presentation preparation, news writing, or other related fields.
- Proven ability to be able to write with humanity and translate technical topics in a grounded manner.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results.
- Experience of speechwriting for high profile figures operating in an international and political environment.
- Experience of energy, development and the United Nations system required.
- Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another UN language desirable. (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
Writing Able to write compelling narratives in a variety of formats (speech, article, blog, report) based on a variety of sources. Able to identify relevant sources and to discard irrelevant ones. Able to tailor writing style to different authors and occasions for which various pieces might be needed and appropriate to different communication tools and media channels. Ability to engage with senior leadership and instill confidence with diplomacy. Able to evidence an understanding of international as well as domestic landscape and context.
Content Development Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates broad, in-depth proficiency in this competency and is therefore able to develop complex and highly visible materials for internal and external use.
Content and Style Editing Has significant experience in, leads others and demonstrates in-depth proficiency in rewriting or editing complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical persuasive presentation of content.
Research and Identification of Materials Able to scan large quantities of materials and to research own sources and materials as input in content development and writing. Within the context of energy and climate related themes, able to find new sources of information and access personal stories of individuals and leaders affecting and living through change and transition. Knowledge of energy, climate change and development Has sound background of knowledge of topics, stories, and materials relevant for global/international and local/project specific themes related to energy, climate change and development. Able to distinguish new and compelling writing from “same old”. Able to distinguish jargon from communication that moves audiences and able to understand and write for audiences according to their background, involvement and personal investment in the field, motivating and inspiring thought and action.
- Client Orientation Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge. Acts as a credible business partner and works with a long-term and institution wide perspective in addressing clients’ needs
- Drive for Results Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables. Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. Knowledge, Learning and Communication Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels. Makes high impact, results oriented presentations and speeches to appropriate decision makers and influences
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision-Making Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
- Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier.
- Teamwork Work within a newly formed team as well as with colleagues across work units, departments, divisions and with others. Support colleagues, establish a team culture, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high-quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
- Personal Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Must have shown to have the ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor an advantage.