Where: Toronto (Canada)
Extent of Work: Full Time
Click here to apply in English
Reporting to the Sr. Manager of Development, Integration and Analytics, the incumbent will be a key member of the IT team, focusing on information and data architecture, application development and data integration as well as analytics (BI).
This person strengthens and provides recommendations on how business information (data) is made available and shared consistently across the organization. In-depth knowledge on data processing, data modelling, advanced analytics, data visualization and reporting is required.
The Sr. Data Solutions Engineer is expected to collaborate with data and analytics specialists, business domain stakeholders and solution developers throughout the organization to identify, design and develop the most efficient business intelligence and analytical solutions to deliver desired business outcomes
Information & Data Architecture (30%)
- Review, define, document, and improve existing strategies, principles and standards related to enterprise-level Data Architecture.
- Catalog existing data sources and document the flow and transformation of data from source through data repositories and to end user data marts or applications.
- Lead the data architecture and design effort on complex projects and applications, and be the technical authority in the data domain.
- Assist with the development of a strategic roadmap for data and analytics, taking into account organizational needs & capabilities, industry trends, and lessons learned from previous efforts.
- Collaborate to improve business performance through enterprise information management solutions and capabilities, such as master data management (MDM), metadata management, analytics, data integration, etc.
- Re-evaluate all supporting technologies to ensure that they are suited to the new reporting and analytics strategy.
- Oversee reconfiguration or reimplementation of tools and technologies to support data & analytics strategy.
- Promote data literacy and analytics skills within the broader organization (within and outside of IT).
- Identify relevant data sources from various internal and external sources.
Application Development and Integration Practices (30%)
- Responsible for all activities related to the development, management and support of traditional Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) batch processes, and real time data.
- Ensure that appropriate controls are in place and all data is secure at all times – particularly sensitive information.
- Act as bridge and translator between business and technical data SMEs, and guide requirements conversations through a structured approach that builds business confidence in the process.
- Question and validate business requirements, ensuring that development and integration work is fit-for-purpose to meet real business needs, and that meaningful change is prioritized over nice-to-have items.
- Produce business requirements for data, identifying data sources and delivering data specifications.
- Assist with initial data exploration steps (binning, pivoting, summarizing and finding correlations, for example).
- Assist Senior Level Team to establish and maintain software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes related to data, analytics and integration
Job Responsibilities Continued
Business Intelligence (30%)
- Responsible for designing a roadmap for the enterprise-wide BI reporting and analytics platform.
- Recommend appropriate technologies to support the implementation of the BI roadmap.
- Provide Business Intelligence technical and architectural guidance to projects and teams, ensuring that new initiatives are enabled with effective data reporting.
- Actively promote the standard reporting and analytics architectures throughout the company.
- Manage and provide escalated level 2-3 support of Business Intelligence applications.
- Develop & deliver specialized end-user training to ensure effective data & analytics utilization.
- Continuous improvement of Business Intelligence solutions.
Manage, Motivate & Mentor Development, Integration and Analytics Subject Matter Experts (10%)
- Manage the work of contract developers when required
- Support data stewards to establish and enforce guidelines for data collection and integration processes.
- In collaboration with the team and with other interested stakeholders, ensure that the right technologies are in place to support development, integration and analytics, and that those technologies are appropriately administered and continually improved.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, MIS and / or a related field.
- 8+ years of technology design and implementation in one or more of the following areas: Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing, Reporting and Analytics.
- Previous experience in the mining industry is an asset.
- Fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, French or Arabic is considered an asset.
Required Technical Knowledge And Skills
- Strong understanding of SDLC methodologies & practices.
- Strong understanding of reporting and analytics tools & techniques.
- Strong knowledge of data lifecycle management concepts.
- Broad experience in data warehouse and business intelligence tools (BI, ETL, Change Data Capture, Slow Changing Dimensions, Data Quality, Cleansing, etc.).
- Excellent understanding of data warehouses, data marts and dimensional data models.
- Previous experience with ERP Solutions is considered an asset.
- Previous experience with Database Administration is considered an asset.
- Mandatory: MicroStrategy (preferred) or comparable BI Solution, SQL Server, SSIS
- Recommended: Oracle JD Edwards, SAP Business Objects, Active Batch, DBMoto Replication, DB2