Where: Copenhagen (Denmark)
Extent of Work: Part Time
Click here to apply in English via e-mail (include photo, two references and, possibly, a short introduction video)
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a tour guide at OURWAY Tours, your job will involve introducing tourists to Copenhagens popular and unique attractions, such as historical monuments, botanical gardens, royal parks, museums, art galleries and other areas of cultural interest. It’s your job to ensure that our guests are properly greeted and get an informative and entertaining experience with us.
Your primary responsibilities will include taking our customers on tours, around a certain area of interest. Our customers come from all over the world and participate in tours offered in multiple languages. All our tours are created in-house with the primary focus on showing the customers our view of our fantastic capital cities; Copenhagen, Oslo & Stockholm. We offer both public tours with set departures and private tours that can be booked by individuals and companies.
You schedule is adapted to the length of the tour.
You will play the role of a cultural ambassador, offering commentary and interesting titbits of information, which will allow visitors to fully experience and enjoy Copenhagens social, cultural and historical highlights.
To be employed, you need to be able to participate in our guide training. The sessions are held on weekends (daytime) and on workdays (evenings). On top of that, you need to participate in a couple of tours to get a feeling for the job. Our training sessions will inform you about our business and the tours we have on offer. It will also help you prepare to answer any questions our guests might have. You will be compensated for the training sessions.
You should have a high school diploma or equivalent; associate’s or bachelor’s degree is a plus especially in the fields of architecture & design, international relations and political science.
Fluency in the English language is essential, and knowledge of another modern language would be an advantage. Our tours are primarily offered in English and German, although other languages such as Spanish, French & Italian are meritorious.
You will be employed on a tour-to-tour basis and paid by the hour. Our rates are 168 DKK/hour incl holiday pay.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Greet all guests promptly at scheduled tour times
- Outline the tour and timeline before beginning
- Determine if any guests have physical restrictions that should be considered
- Clearly and articulately provide information to guests in an engaging manner
- Answer any questions that the guests have
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of the city and related topics
- Remain calm, friendly, and enthusiastic at all times
- De-escalate any tension with difficult guests
- Escort guests through the tour, taking breaks as needed
- Keep the tour moving on schedule while still being considerate to guests
- Know all safety and security protocols, should they be needed
To be able to work as a guide at OURWAY Tours you must:
- Have significant work experience in customer service preferred
- Have experience with public speaking
- Have the ability to memorise and recite facts clearly and accurately
- Be fluent in English; bilingual a plus
- Have exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Have basic computer skills, including email and word processing
- Be enthusiastic, engaging, and informative way of speaking
- Have the ability to remain calm and collected when dealing with difficult guests
- Be passion for learning and willingness to continue to acquire relevant knowledge
- Be awesome and enjoy having fun!
To be a valid candidate for this role we require:
- Fluency in English
- An availability 4–8 weeks during the period 2018–05–01 till 2018–09–30
- Availability to participate in our guide training held on the following dates (dates may change):
- 24th & 25th of February
- 8th & 19th March
- 11th April
- • Additional language: German, Spanish, French and Italian
- • Earlier experience from similar jobs